<E28> 535is power seat non-operational

Just bought a 1987 535is - very nice car.  The controls that move the
passenger seat backward and tilt the seat back are not working - I know
the contacts are okay as I can hear the solenoid box clicking away when
the buttons are depressed...the motor just does not kick in.  The seat
does move forward and tilt up..just not the other way(s).  So I know
that the motors themselves work, I know that the buttons next to the
seats are making the contacts and I can hear the solenoids in the sealed
box under the seats 'click' when I depress the buttons.  I checked all
the connections under the seat and they are fine.  Has anyone heard of
the solenoid boxes going bad (the ones that are mounted under the
seats)?  Thanks, Persi

End of bmw-digest V9 #2029