Re: 92 325i Sunroof Problems + New BMW Buyer Favor Needed

Jorge, BMW screwed up the design of the early E36 sunroof mechanism.  They redesigned it for the 94 model year.  The only fix is to put the new mechanism in the old cars.  BMW sells an adapter kit for this.  The whole thing cost me about $750 to have done, $450 of which was parts.  I thought that was reasonable considering that the whole liner has to come down to change the mechanism.

Here's the thing:

 This has nothing to do with the wind noise and rattle, they all do that!

I understand if you open the sunroof and poke around the source of the rattle is pretty obvous and can be attenuated by a little silicone.  Which is probably the wind noise answer for a permanently closed sunroof, just put some clear silicone in the seam.

I would at this time like to ask a favor of all listmembers who buy new BMW's:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BUY YOUR NEXT BMW WITHOUT A SUNROOF!

A sunroof adds noise, leak potential, complexity, and weight in the worst possible place.  It is a hole in the roof of your car!

Those of us who are limited to used BMW's find it near impossible to find a used BMW without a hole in the roof, so we need some buyers on the new side to step up, grow up, and give the stupid hole-in-the-roof-gimmick a heave-ho!

Thanks for listening,

Hans Conser
Network Chiropractor