Re: E30 Starting Problem

George,
I would suspect fuel based problems. Are your plugs flooded with gas when
you crank the car in the morning or are they bone dry? Does cranking the
engine with the gas pedal floored help with starting the car?
Two likely scenarios come to mind. One: gas is draining back out of the
fuel lines into the tank (bad Fuel Pressure Regulator) and it takes a while
for the pump to feed it back to the engine (spark plugs bone dry). The
other: worn out fuel injectors are slowly leaking and flooding the engine
requiring long cranking time to pump the gasoline out of the cylinders
(spark plus flooded).

hope this helps,
alex f

|---------+------------------------------------->
|         |           George.Barrowcliff@bergenb|
|         |           runswig.com               |
|         |           Sent by:                  |
|         |           owner-bmw@domain.elided      |
|         |                                     |
|         |                                     |
|         |           01/08/02 06:29 PM         |
|         |                                     |
|---------+------------------------------------->
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                               |
  |        To:      bmw-digest@domain.elided                                                                         |
  |        cc:                                                                                                    |
  |        Subject: E30 Starting Problem                                                                          |
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

My 88 325is has developed a starting problem after being parked 10 days or
so.
 It finally did start after cranking for a long time.  Then ran good for a
couple of days, parked it for 1 1/2 days and had the same problem.  Ran
good
for a while, then after parking from 9AM to 6PM had difficulty starting.

  Started good this morning after parking overnight.

  Southern California, weather no problem.

  Any ideas?

George Barrowcliff,
Amerisource Bergen Corporation
Distribution Services