RE: E28 valve noise

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Karl Zemlin wrote:

> When you do the valve adjustment, lean to the tight side.  With my
> first BMW I tried to aim for very light contact on the feeler
> gauge when adjusting the valves.  When I attended my first club
> tech session, everyone there turned and looked at my car when I
> drove up.  When I stepped out they all said, in unison, "You need
> your valves adjusted".  When the mechanic was adjusting them he
> used a feeler gauge at the low end of the clearance spec (which I
> don't recall ottomh) and had to pull and wiggle a little to get it
> out from under the rocker arm after the eccentric was locked.  I
> was amazed at the difference when he was finished!

 That's odd, everyone else recommends setting big 6 valves to the
loose side - .012 to .014.  Smooths out the idle.  Ticking is a
fact of life with these engines.  If it ain't ticking some, the
clearances are probably too tight.  At the extreme end of too-tight,
the valves won't close fully anymore and you could burn 'em.

- --
 "It is an honor to be Cookie Monster."
   -Sesame Street spokeswoman Audrey Shapiro