E36M3 rear end rattle/clunk

In my 14 years of E30 experience, rattles and clunks in the rear are
usually either stuff in the trunk or exhaust system hitting the body
somewhere.   Sounds like you took everything out of the trunk already.

Exhaust system hitting the body is difficult to spot on a lift, unless it
has gone on long enough to make shiny spots.   I had an annoying problem
with the exhaust hitting the body that was almost completely solved when a
broken motor mounts was replaced.  A number of other things were done at
the same time (adjust muffler hangers, etc.) so I'm not really sure what
fixed the problem.

Everytime I do my own exhaust system work, it has taken me a couple of road
tests and readjustments  of the exhaust hangers to get the clunks to go
away.

Hope you find it,

Tony.