Re: E30 Suspension Changes

Sounds to me like you're having the same problems that I did when I put
Eibach springs in my E30. I think that Eibach makes a spring for the E30
that serves cosmetic needs only. The springs are too soft for the
reduction in spring length. This is why your handling has gone to hell
in a hand basket. Shortening a spring requires that the spring rate be
increased to allow the spring to absorb the same amount of bump energy.
It appears that Eibach shortened the spring and used stock spring rates
to maintain stock ride comfort. It is the soft spring that is making the
ride harsh as the suspension is hitting the bump stops.

I removed the Eibach springs in disgust and replaced them with a set of
H&R Street Sport springs. These lower the car about an inch front and
rear and have spring rates about 25% greater than stock. They have
improved the handling a lot with none of the faults that you mentioned.

I suggest that you junk the Eibachs and put in the H&Rs.

Peter du Bois