Re: <E30> rough running/stalling problem

Scott,
What leads you to say that "bathing the ICV in WD40 or any other cleaner is
a bad idea"?
BTDT,
alex f

P.S.: What typically clogs the ICV is the same blow by residue that
deposits on the throttle body and the intake boot. If you've noticed any
oily residue on the throttle body or the AFM, chances are your ICV is also
getting some.

|---------+--------------------------->
|         |           Scott Wolf      |
|         |           <sjwolves@domain.elided.|
|         |           com>            |
|         |           Sent by:        |
|         |           owner-bmw@digest|
|         |           .net            |
|         |                           |
|         |                           |
|         |           12/26/01 06:44  |
|         |           AM              |
|         |                           |
|---------+--------------------------->
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                               |
  |        To:      bmw-digest@domain.elided                                                                         |
  |        cc:                                                                                                    |
  |        Subject: <E30> rough running/stalling problem                                                          |
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I understand that bathing the ICV in WD40 or any other cleaner in a bad
idea. Is there an alternative solution?

Scott

Kyle,
May I offer two "usual suspects" for all of your drivability problems,
especially below 4K rpms and double so under cold running conditions:
1. The ICV (Idle Control Valve) and its brain if you are driving an eta
car. The ICV is notorious for going intermittent and sticking in closed or
opened conditions causing all sorts of drivability problems. Sometimes they
clear after the engine warms up. Sometimes they don't. Sometimes an
intermittent ICV will pass all Bentley resistance checks, other times it
wont and you will identify the problem and replace it. Long story short,
start by giving your ICV a healthy WD40 bath. Take it apart to do so. If
that helps - congratulations - you've identified the culprit and know what
to do the next time. If not, do get a spare used ICV from a junk yard for
<$50 and swap it in.

- --