Used Etas

Henri, sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience, but this is in stark contrast to my own and what I know from people I've spoken to/heard tell of from their E30s.

My 325es now has 150K; I've had it since it had 80K.  I replaced the U-joint on the driveshaft (much cheaper than a new shaft) and the struts.  The heater core did go bad, and the previous owner had to replace the PS rack.  I had to buy a $130 Bosal muffler a few years ago.  As I mentioned, the A/C has needed work (a compressor & drier when I got the car, and more-frequent-than-ideal recharges since).  It passed emissions easily last time, so I assume the cat is working as intended, and it hasn't rusted.

The bushings are still fine.  I have had no fuel injection problems; it burns very little oil (less than a half a quart between 3000 mile changes); the electronics have been fine--except for a short in the cruise control.  Alternator, ICV, cooling system, fuel injection, etc. all have been without problem.

In all, not bad at all for a fun car to drive--if you want no repairs at all, buy a Honda or a Toyota.  And as I pointed out, the book on these cars is also low enough that the buyer would have a significant chunk of money left from their budget to make these repairs.

The car still handles great, looks good, gets nearly 40 MPG at 60 mph on the highway (>30 at 70 mph), and everything works as intended.  Makes me wonder why I bought my E24...

But you obviously had a very different experience.  Is your understanding that E28 etas are better or worse?  If there are a bunch of other submissions that tell stories similar to yours, I'll just have to conclude that I was lucky.  Cheers!
- - Tom

Henri wrote:
>A 12-15 year old  E30 is no bargain unless you are
>a life long mechanic. These cars have major wear >cycles at 100K and at 150K miles. Ask me how I >know........
>If it's important for the car to be 95-100% correct, >then a 3500-4500 dollar E30 with 100k will likely be >a black hole for money.
>100K
>complete front suspension rebuild w/struts
>new steering rack
>new rear wheel bearings
>new injectors
>new ICV
>new ICV ECU
>new radiator
>new in tank-fuel pump
>new SI board
># 5 and #6 cylinder burning  oil because the >cylinders wearing slightly oval......very common on >the ETA.
>new temp sender
>new wiring harness ignition
>new fan clutch
>new alternator brushes
>new thermostat housing
>150K
>new driveshaft
>front wheel bearings
>new O2 sensor
>new intrument cluster contact board
>new starter (this was a bitch to install.......)
>new AC temp control block under dash.  (ditto......)
>new catalytic converter
>Automatic trans probably on its last legs.....(~$1350 >for a ZF rebuilt)

>I would only recommend such cars to people who >*enjoy* wrenching as a hobby........
>Henri
- --