Re: ASC - What the??? ON or OFF???

> ASC - I'm assuming this means Automatic Skid Control? Anyways,
I have an E36
> with this option but I'm not sure how it works. When you press
the ASC
> button on the center console.. does this activate this feature
or disable
> it? How does this feature work (mechanically or electronicly)?
When should I
> use this option, when it snows I'm assuming?

ASC stands for Automatic Stability Control + Traction.  By
pressing the button on the dash in front of the gear shift, a
lamp in the instrument pod is lit that looks like a triagle with
a a circle and an exclamation point in it.  When that lamp is
lit, the ASC has been disabled.

Rather than type the whole thing in, I'll just point to a good
web site:
http://www.bmw.co.za/Products/FIRST/Active/act-ASCT.htm

It works whenever either of the rear wheels start to loose
traction regardless of the conditions outside.  Turn it off and
you'll be amazed the amount of time times you'll get a little
wheel slippage here and there.  I've seen it kick in on dry
pavement, particularly around higher speed corners when I try to
put a little too much gas into it too early.

John Virnig
'97 328is