E28 trunk latch spring

Hello all,

Last night I opened the trunk to get my squash gear, when I tried to close
the trunk lid, I could not get the lid to catch.  As I intended to travel a
few hundred miles the next day and that it was 12:30 am I was a little
pissed.

Anyway.  Upon examination, it appears that the small helical catch spring,
that forces the catch forward to engage the trunk lid fixture, has slipped.
It does not appear broken, there is a hook at one end of the spring and a
straight leg at the other end of the spring.

I can reset the hooked end of the spring to engage the catch, but the
straight end slips.  To replace the spring it appears that a rivet needs to
be drilled out.

Has anyone else had experience with this $0.05 piece of aggravation?

Thanks
Joe Fahy

- ---