Re: E34 540i Head Gasket replacement?

Randy,

A head gasket isn't a "normal wear" item, like spark plugs, belts, hoses,
etc.  Thus, if you have a bad head gasket, it's something that needs to be
replaced NOW!

Also, during Inspection II, the mechanic doesn't perform any tests to
determine that a head gasket is bad.  So, short of observing _symptoms_ that
_may_indicate_ a bad head gasket, (spark plug fouling, oil in radiator,
coolant in oil), the mechanic won't really know that a head gasket is bad,
let alone _going_bad_!

I'd question the technical competence of a shop that tells you the gasket
needs to be replaced "soon".  A head gasket problem can't be determined in
the same way that one can look at brake pads and say they should be replaced
in 5000 miles.  Take the car to another shop for a second opinion, and make
sure that they run specific tests to detect a bad head gasket.

As far as costs go, a head gasket replacement will easily cost over $1000.
Others on the list may have exact costs.

- -rb