fuel tank leak - urgent info request

What a great bunch of guys on this digest!
I've had several email replies all really helpful with suggestions as to
the problem. Very many thanks to all.

When I took the rear wheel off (filler side), after some poking about
with a (wooden) stick I could see where the leak was coming from. The
weld around the main fuel inlet "spout" (where it attaches to the fuel
tank) has a pinhole leak. WHen I filled the tank,the fuel level went
above this point and - well came out that hole. There may be more
pinholes - I have to check further. At first I had hoped it was just a
loose clip on that hose or even a split hose but they both seem fine.

I part-filled a washing up bowl with sand and let the leak drain into
that :-( Anyway, as just as a thing to try (as as the hole was so small)
I moulded some blu-tak around the weld. It stopped the leak! Horrible I
know but better than all that fuel going everywhere. I'll try syphon out
fuel to get it below the level of thr filler pipe today.

The weld itself seems otherwise ok - just this pinhole. I'm wondering if
I get fix it with epoxy resin? I thought to try a small spot of silicone
sealant (the real stuff) to allow some flexing, and when that sets, seal
around it with resin for strength? As even the thin covering of paint
that was covering that hole was holding back the leak there can't be
much pressure there (esp as is near the top of the tank). The thing is I
don't know if petrol reacts with silconce and/or epoxy resin?

A huge thanks again.

- -John

ps I will take that rear seat out and take a look under the inspection
plate too.