fuel tank leak - urgent info request

'89 325i
For the past week or so I thought (knew) I could smell petrol. Couldn't
see anything leaking anywhere. This morning, after putting 60 lites of
fuel in, the smell was very strong. Took a look underneath the fuel tank
and, ar  last could see the leak. Fuel was dripping off the underneath
of the fuel tank. It must have been happening for some time as there
were small whitish crystals in that area on the tank too. I thought
something must have punctured the tank. But, upon closer inspection I
can see that the fuel is actuall running down (from somewhere) at the
*back* of the tank (ie the rear vertical surface of the tank facing the
rear of the car.

Can someone please advise what might be the cause. Is there something
further up that surface that could be loose. The tank "look" in good
condition visually - will get the rear wheel off just now and see if
anything is visible. I've never worked on the fuel system at the "tank
end" before so not looking forward to this - *and* of course I now have
a full fuel tank as well!

Thanks for any advice. email direct appreciated. j.s.smith@domain.elided

- -John