VANOS - 2-stage vs. multi-stage - M Coupe

I just purchased a 1999 M Coupe with the "2-stage" VANOS (intake only)
The new M Coupe has the "Multi-stage" VANOS (intake & Exhaust).
I was lead to believe the VANOS system continuously adjusts the cam timing on
both systems.
So, what does the "2-stage" and "multi-stage" mean???

I have driven the new 2001 M Coupe with the 315 HP@7400/RPM & 251
lbs/torque@4900/RPM on two different occasions.
...............................My 1999 M Coupe with 240 HP@6500/RPM & 236
lbs/torque@3900/RPM definitely feels a lot stronger.

I believe my 1999 M Coupe feels stronger because there is a lot more torque a
lot earlier (3900/RPM).
The official 0-60mph figures are very close. There may be a more of a
difference between 0-100mph, but I prefer the extra power 0-60mph.
One of the biggest differences to is, the 1999 model has self-adjusting
valves. The new model does NOT have self-adjusting values.
The new model requires the values to be manually adjusted every 15,000 miles.
The new engine is also produces a lot more noise.

If anyone knows the difference between the 2-stage vs. multi-stage VANOS,
please e-mail me.

Dennis Logan