Re: Plastic Thermostat Housings and Timing Chain Tensioners

jkerouac@domain.elided wrote:
> Question:
> Is it necessary to replace the plastic thermostat housing on the
> E36 with a later aluminum part?

Not in my experience, but than again both my plastic thermostat housing and
my '95 plastic impeller water pump were as good as new when I swapped them
out at 50K miles. All this while others report theirs failing.
I would say that for every ten plastic impeller disaster story there is one
reported thermostat housing cracking. It's a ~$40 item. Whether you wish to
replace it is entirely up to you.

>     Have you had your's crack?

No.

>     Was it in a very cold or hot climate, or in severe running
> conditions?

TX climate with 1+ DEs and 10+ autoX per year.

> Also, is it necessary to replace the timing chain tensioner when R&R'ing
> the cylinder head?
>     Or is it np for a competent mechanic to reuse the old one?
>     It looks the same as any older model BMW chain tensioner.

I replace my t-belt tensioner on the M20s but am yet to open an M50 engine.
If it's a <$20 part I would consider this a no-brainer.

alex f