E30 325is Map Lights

You know those little map lights mounted on the rear-view mirror? One of
mine finally died, so I went to the local BMW Stealership and inquired about
the availability of replacement bulbs, sure we got 'em, so the guy brings
out this little flashlight bulb looking thing and proclaims 25 bucks! 25
bucks?!? You gotta be shitting me! "Well they are halogen" or some crap, so
are my headlight bulbs which are less than half of that...Needless to say I
didn't buy.

Question: Does it matter that the gourmet BMW bulbs go in there or is there
a $1.49 umurican bulb that will work say 80% as well?

Steve H
89 325is
All warning lights perfect (113,xxx miles)