E34 M-50 timing chain cover leak - sigh . . .

Hi folks,

Our '92 525ia M-50 has developed an oil leak which appears to be coming
from the seam between the block and the timing chain cover. : >(   It's
on the passenger side, looks like right above the spot where the RH cover
dowel goes through.

I just replaced the water pump (plastic impeller finally went, of
course), the oil leak began immediately after. I assume I
jostled/distorted/whatever the chain cover in the process. Sigh . . . the
leak too bad enough to ignore, I'll have to fix it. I pulled out my
trusty (I thought) Bentley only to find  _nothing_at_all_  about the
block! The chain replacement is in there though, so by following along
with that I've determined (I think) what I'll need to do to replace just
the chain cover gasket. I've typed it out, please let me know if I've
missed anything.  _Many_TIAs_!!

1) drain the engine of oil and water
2) remove the top cover, coils, cam cover, etc.
3) remove oil pan - a job in itself, looks like! But at least it's in the
Bentley
4) remove shroud & fan, drive belts, water pump pulley ( ? ), alt belt
tensioner, crank pulley
5) remove crank hub - how the heck do I hold the dang thing from turning
??!!?
6) T-stat housing ?
7) remove chain cover-to-cyl. head bolts - can I get at these ??
8) push out locating dowels on chain cover sides
9) remove rest of cover bolts and remove
- ----------------------
I'll replace the front crank seal once the cover's out. (right ? )
- ----------------------
1) reinstall cover dowels, just slightly proud of sealing surface
2) bead of sealer to corners of cyl head where cover meets head and block
- - any other sealer needed at head surface?
3) using new gasket tap cover into position
4) install cover mount bolts hand-tight, incl torx bolts in head
5) drive dowels forward to flush with front of cover
6) tighten cover bolts alternately and in stages
7) reinstall oil pan using new gasket, et al
8) reinstall crank hub - any tips or tricks here ?
9) reinstall all the rest of the above stuff
10) go get beers from fridge, guzzle rapidly

Did I miss anything? It doesn't look like I need to remove the front
timing chain cover, am I right?

Parts I'll need or want to replace:

1) chain cover gasket  (s?)
2) front crank seal
3) oil pan gasket
4) cyl head cover gasket (?)
5) dipstick tube o-ring
6) sealant? (Three Bond 1207 or equiv.- what is equivilant?)
7) front timing chain cover gasket (?)

Are there any other items I should do while I'm in this far? The
tensioner or guide or . . .? I hate to even think about re-doing all this
if the chain should need replacement later, not that I have any
intimation that it's going now.

Any tips or tricks of course greatly appreciated. I hope I've got a clear
idea of what I'm facing here. It ain't gonna be easy, that's fer sure.

Sorry for such a long post, but thanks for reading through and looking
forward to your reply(s),

Dan Kraeuter
'92 525ia
'85 VW Golf - 808,000 miles!! (so far)