RE: How to check the viscous fan clutch?

On Mon, 03 Dec 2001, at 08:01:59 -0500, Garry wrote:

>How can I check the viscous fan clutch on 1.8 and 2 litre motors in the
E34?

Take a rolled-up newspaper, about what you can encircle with thumb and
forefinger. Stand on the exhaust side of the engine (no matter what side the
steering wheel's on) with the engine at operating temp. Try to stop the fan
with the end of newspaper. If the fan wins, the clutch is OK; if the paper
wins the clutch is a paperweight.

>Should then spin freely when cold?

No, there should always be some drag on it.

>The 2.0 is loosing water somewhere too.
>I cant see a leak and its not overheating on the gauge.
>I don't think its the head gasket.

The P*sch* owner down the street is sneaking into your garage at night and
siphoning off coolant.

Have the cooling system pressure tested.

Bob Kegel
'70 2002
'85 635 CSi
BMW CCA