Re: Rad fan eating radiator (E-30)

JHahn22@domain.elided wrote:
> In a message dated 11/30/01 12:33:06 PM Central Standard Time,
> alex.fadeev@domain.elided writes:
>

> > If two new mounts don't fix the problem you have bent lower radiator
> > mounts.
> > BTDT. Fix the mounts first. Than, if necessary, remove the radiator and
> > introduce the lower radiator mounts to a large sledge hammer.
> >
> > alex f
> > '89 325i
> >

> But I'm not sure how to tell if the radiator is still being chewed on
once I
> fix the mounts (except that I'll break up another rad. fan).

John,
You can hear the fan rubbing before it gets pushed in the radiator hard
enough to brake the fan. Start by breaking harder and harder. If you can
ABS break without hearing fan-to-radiator rubbing noises than you've got
nothing to worry about.
Another test is being able to screw/unscrew the fan from the water pump
without having to remove the radiator. If you can - there is plenty of
clearance and the fan will not hit the radiator until the engine mounts
brake again. if you can not - the radiator is too close and there is some
unrepaired structural damage in the nose of your car.

hope this helps,
alex f