E34 Foglight Options

I need to replace a foglight on my E34.  It's currently equipped with the
non-ellipsoidal foglights, but I'm considering a replacement of both
foglights with the ellipsoidal fogs that were installed on the later
('94-95) E34s.

Has anyone on the list compared the performance of the two different
foglights?  If so, please send me a note.

The price of the ellipsoidal fogs is almost double the cost of the fogs that
I currently have, so I don't want to spend the extra money if it's a
marginal upgrade.  I'd rather spend the money on an HID upgrade!

Thanks,

- -rb