Re: bmw-digest V9 #1973

bmw-digest wrote:

> Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 11:56:58 -0500
> From: "Tony Lin" <tonyplin@domain.elided>
> Subject: E30: Battery Drain
>
> Hi Folks-
>
> Can anyone suggest some possible reasons for a slow drain of current from my
> battery when the car is off?  Clock?  Those silly idiot lights and their
> rechargeable batteries?
>
> It's a brand new battery in the car- I just replaced a 1yr-old one which was
> under warranty.  Apparently the old battery drained down to nothing after
> the car was parked without driving for periods of a few weeks.  The new
> one's  showing a 14hr overnight drop from 12.2v to 11.8v.  At this rate, 3-4
> days of not driving will drop the battery to below cranking voltage.  I
> can't think that it's just another bad battery.
>
> Tony
>
> 85 318i
I've got an 84 533i that had a slow battery drain. Turned out to be a
sticky trunk latch caused the trunk to not lock correctly which also
caused the trunk light circuit to be active draining the battery in a
couple of days every time I had recharged it...check out the trunk
light!
it's worth a look, best of luck!
Paul S.

- --
Paul Schnettler
UW-SSEC	 Univ. of Wisconsin - Space Science & Engineering Center
1225 W. Dayton St. Rm#547
Madison, WI  53706