<E36> Computer and radio problems

In BMW Digest v09.n1975 Richard R. Coker <richardcoker.qqlink.com>
wrote:

>Please help me, no radio is killing me!    I have a 96 328iS and the
>"check engine light" came on.  Since this has happened before and the
>dealer said it was just a gas cap and reset it a month or more ago, I
>thought why not just reset the puter by turning off the battery.  I did
>and of course the light didn't go off but WORSE the radio said enter
>code and I entered a bunch of numbers not knowing the code (The dealer
>told me this would happen but I would just lose my station presets) But
>now all I get on my radio is "CODE WAIT".  What is up with that and can
>anyone tell me most importantly how to get the radio working and also
>how to reset the "check engine light"????   Thanks so much!

When you turn on the radio after restoring the power, you have three
chances to enter the correct code; then the radio refuses to accept
further entries.  You used up your three chances.  What you need to
do now is turn the key to the accessory position (the first one after
lock), and wait about one hour.  This is CODE WAIT.  After that wait,
the radio will allow you three more chances to enter the code.

For the CHECK ENGINE light, have a dealer or independent shop read
out the error codes to find the cause.  Then correct the cause.  For
certain transient errors, the light will reset itself.  For others
you must find and fix the problem.

Curt Ingraham
72 2002tii
Oakland, CA