525i check engine light

I'd like to thank everyone for their past assistance.  This is a great list,
supported by great people.

I have a newly acquired 1994 525i.   The dash check engine lite and brake
sensor lites were on when I bought the car (helped during negotiations)

I've had the brakes replaced, but I don't think the garage reset the check
engine lite.

How do I trouble shoot a check engine lite to see if there are other
problems, and can an owner reset the check engine lite on his own?

Thanks to you all.

Rick