E30 Subframe

Hi James,

I have just replaced my E30 subframe successfully for just the reason you
mentioned. The subframe was bent, holding the steering rack in a non
horizontal position. The other possibility is that the steering rack is bent
as well. Gives a wandering feeling when going over bumps. Look under the car
and check that the steering rack is level.

Regards,
Larry

> > Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 21:39:18 -0600
> > From: "James H. BOYD III" <byoda@domain.elided>
> > Subject: What are the symptoms of a bent front subframe?
> >
> > Hello all,
> > I have a 535is and when I hit dips in the road, the steering wheel pulls
> > slightly to the left if I am holding the wheel loosely.  It was run over
> > a curb before I bought it.  It apparently hit so hard, even the spare
> > tire in the trunk got dented in addition to the four on the car (ok, that
> > could have been a different curb).  The point it, I have replaced the
> > struts, the center tie rod, the idler arm, and it does it even with the
> > sway bar off.  I have replaced the left control arm (lower-curvy one)
> > with no change.  I am about to change the right one as well, but I had
> > pressed a 750 bushing into the right one a couple of years ago.  Now the
> > ball joint is a little worn.  Might the subframe be causing this?  The
> > entry by the gentleman in RI needing a subframe made me wonder.
> >
> > Any info would be greatly appreciated,
> >
> > James Boyd

Best Regards,
Larry