RE: Need to Replace Gas Tank

I also had a leak on my 91 318 last year.
It was at the top of the tank where one steel tube goes in.
I removed the tank myself. If you are mechanically incline, it is something
you can do at home. The use of air tools make unbolting the tank faster
tough. The drive shaft needs to be removed like you said,
and the tank needs to be emptied firts. I installed a tube on the outlet,
and jumped the fuel pump to 12v until the tank was empty.  To lower the
tank, it's better to be two person, but I did it alone using a floor jack
and a piece of wood. The car needs to be jacked quite high to do that. I
was using pieces of wood beams (8"x8" rail road beams) under the wheels and
chuck them.

I had the tank repaired in a shop. They cleaned it, and soldered the
leaking spots, and pressure tested it. It cost me $45 CAN.  I had the tank
repaired because it was in not too bad shape. A replacement tank, (brand
new but jobber) was around $150 CAN.

Hope thins helps.

Michel Drainville
91 318ic, no gas smell.