Washington, DC Area BMW Dealer Service Woes

I have been driving BMWs for the past 12 years, most recently the owner of a
2000 M Roadster and a 1998 528i and I have experienced horrendous service
problems at three different dealerships this year.  They are located in
Fairfax, VA; Rockville, MD; and Silver Spring, MD.

The complaints center around customer service and technical support in
servicing my vehicles. On 2 visits with the roadster and 4 visits with the
528, my concerns center around the following:

* front and rear bumpers being bumped while cars being ferried around in
dealerships. One bump bent up the license plate frame, the other required the
bumper to be refinished.

* stone guards underneath car crushed by in-experienced uncaring technicians.

* brake fluid light flashing after a brake service. flashing went away but
they must have done something incorrectly.

* dirt/grease always on the mats of the car when car is picked up.

* three foot long scratches put in the hood and dealer buffing them out and
leaving nice swirl marks on a black car.

* work left half finished when car brought out to me only requesting it to be
finished and having me wait for it to be completed at 5:30 in the evening.

* replaced interior parts being installed improperly.

* always new damage being inflicted on car requiring an additional item next
visit.

* although an appointment is made, car seems to always need at least two days
with them before I can get it back, even for the most minor items.

The list can go on and on.

In addition, at one dealership, the service advisor makes me feel he is doing
me a favor by taking the car and "rebuilding it".

I have talked to the customer service folks that call and ask about your
satisfaction with the servicing experience and have tried to talk to John
Staley the Eastern Regional Service Manager.  In each and every case, these
folks that take the calls WILL NOT allow me any access to personnel that need
to hear my complaints.  They just take the information and file the formal
complaint.  I never hear anything more.

All that I am asking is that the servicing facility take some care with my
personal property, they fix the items correctly the first time, and they
treat me respectfully.

It appears that BMW NA doesn't give a dam about my happiness with the
servicing experience I am getting!!  The calls after the service are a joke!!!

I thought I would never say this, but based on the "service after the sale"
experience, I cannot feel comfortable in buying another BMW, and feel I need
to warn all other potential customers to stay away.

I have an order in for a 2002 M3.  I am sad to say I will need to cancel that
order.  I will be looking at Porsche and/or Jaguar for my next ride.

Feeling sick, let down, and very angry!!!

Christopher Osborne
Ashburn, VA
2002 M Roadster
1998 528i