Need to Replace Gas Tank

Hi All,

I have a 1991 318i with low mileage (about 90,000), in good condition. A
week ago I started to smell gasoline inside and outside the car, seemed
to be near the front, passenger side. I also started having to crank the
engine to get it to start, usually starts on second but not first try.
My mechanic looked at it and advised the gas tank needs to be replaced,
a very slow leak due to rust at the seam joining the two halves of the
tank, a major job, two mechanics, 8 hours each, they have to remove the
drive train and some flashing to replace the tank. Then he mentioned he
has never done this before for a BMW.

Is it really necessary to replace the tank? Is it possible to seal the
tank from the inside without removing it? Is it really such a major job?

Thank you for your help, John Rush