High Mileage 3's

I have an 86 eta that is about 200K miles.  It was flogged by the
middle kid through five years (why do they all take so long?) of
college and suffered mightily in the sheet metal and paint
departments.  The suspension is ready for refreshing and of course, it
needs body work, but the motor runs well and doesn't use any oil, then
the interior could use some refreshing as well, as could the trim -
hell I need a donor car for the body and interior I guess, but, the
motor and tranny are fine.

I think that Americans in general view cars as disposable implements
meant to be replaced every three-four years.  They have a very
different view point from the average Bimmeroid who wants his/her car
forever.  Thus, high mileage scares them as they think in terms of
American and Asian cars that typically aren't care for as are ours and
aren't engineered for the long high speed haul.

>From: "Rick" <rickg@domain.elided>
>To: "BMW Digest" <bmw-digest@domain.elided>
>Subject: Over 200K miles?
>Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 07:03:57 -0600
>
>Hello from a first time Bimmer
>
>Does anyone else out there drive a Bimmer daily that has over 200K
miles?

>My '87 325 5 spd has been for sale for two weeks and no bites.  The
190K
>miles on the odometer probably scares a lot of people.  The car needs
the
>every-60K-mile timing belt and front struts, but that's about it.
The
>engine runs very strong, the exhaust is quiet and the a/c will chill
a can
>of beer.  The body panels are in good shape, no gaping rust holes
like the
>Jap cars.  I drive about 21K miles per year, 90% of that is on a
highway.

>I've been shopping for a 535i but discouraged at what I see, and the
prices
>that people/dealers are commanding.  Some of the cars I've test
driven are
>in worse shape than my 325.
>
>My 325 has served me well for the past 3 years of ownership, and I
feel
>guilty for tossing it aside.  If I don't fix the car, it'll probably
>donated
>to giveacar.org (American Lung Society).
>
>Thanks for listening.
>
>Confused first-time Bimmer
Bob Duckworth

rduckwor1@domain.elided