Re: detonation 95 m3

Cody,

The maximum torque for the engine is around 4000 rpm, so you should be in
the max powerband at that point.  My '95 will pull strong from 1500 rpm to
redline, with no pinging or drop in power.

You need to use the highest octane premium unleaded fuel that you can find
(92-94 octane).

I'm not sure what you mean by second gear top end and third gear bottom end.
  Shifting from 2nd to 3rd won't take engine RPMs from redline in 2nd to
"low end" in third, unless you consider low end to be 3000 RPM or so.

It sounds like a problem that could be caused by bad spark plugs.  Check
them and replace them if they are coated with carbon, if the electrodes are
worn, or if they're PLATINUM plugs.  BMW didn't recommend platinum plugs for
these cars.

Also, check the ignition coils.  You may have one or more bad or marginal
coils.  Your engine has a coil for each spark plug.  If the coil is bad or
marginal, the condition of it's spark plug will be much different from the
spark plug that's fired by a good coil.

- -rb