RE: bmw-digest V9 #1966

From: Henri Baccouche <henrib@domain.elided>

> How long will any motor last on a 5w or 10w oil ?

It depends entirely on what grade oil the engine was designed to use.

There are plenty of 200K+ mile Hondas and Toyotas out there that have
run on 5w30/10w30 oil for all of those miles.

I don't know -- regardless of this conspiracy theory that manufacturers
ONLY spec XXw30 oils for CAFE laws, I will still put more weight on
their recommendations than on those of some unknown person on the internet
or even some allegedly altruistic commercial web site that happens to
be sponsored by Redline Synthetic oils...

My '92 535i gets 20w50 and I'll probably go for 15w50 or 15w40 for the
winter as recommended in the Owner's manual.  My '88 5351s got 20w50, my
'90 Civics got 5w30 or 10w30 and my wife's '95 Accord gets 5w30.

And BTW -- my lawnmower gets straight 30 weight as does the lawn tractor.
My snowblower uses 5w30.

All are as recommended by the manufacturers for the temperature ranges
of their use.

Regards,
Mike Kohlbrenner