Re: 5W-30 on the Autobahn?

Henri,

5W-30 is a multi-grade oil.  When it's cold, it has a 'weight' of 5 (the W
stands for Winter, not weight).  When the oil is heated to operating
temperature, it thickens up to a 'weight' of 30.

On a recent trip to Germany (August), we visited a BMW dealership in Munich
and purchased some parts.  The oil that they were selling was 0W-30
synthetic.  In August.  For cars that drive on the autobahn.  IN a country
where gasoline costs over $4/gallon.

So, it's not a USA mandate to run lighter weight oils in cars to improve
fuel economy, at the expense of engine life.

- -rb