Re: BMW's biggest quality problem

Ed,

I'm sorry to hear about the bad experiences you've had with your dealer.  I
cannot commiserate though, because my experience has been totally the
opposite.  I bought my car and have it serviced at Cutter Motors in Santa
Barbara.  They try extremely hard to please the customer, including sending a
customer survey in the mail after servicing your car.

Their advisors are proffessional and friendly.  Their mechanics have never
once complained when I walk right into their service bay with a question, and
I've done that at least ten times.  They patiently answer my questions, and
have looked up info on their cd-rom system and printed it out for me.  When
smogging my car they talk to me like I'm one of them.  They are the only shop
in town (that I know of) with a Hunter tire changing machine which won't
damage my $$ wheels, and I have watched them take extreme care with my low
profile tires.  One of their mechanics replaced my VANOS system under
warrenty because he didn't think it sounded right.

They wash your car after servicing it, and give you a ride to and from work
if you need one (haven't asked for a loaner).  They are probably a little
more expensive than other repair shops, but I will not take my car anywhere
else.

I believe that your dealer's _management_ is the problem.  If they wanted to
please the customer, they would.

Curt Allen
'95 M3

<< Subject: BMW's biggest quality problem

 Below is a copy of a letter sent to the Roundel. I'd like to hear your
 thoughts.

 - -Ed

 etc. >>