Re: 5W-30 on the Autobahn?

I've used Synthetic 5W-30 on all my BMWs and never has
any engine problems. My old 325i has 130k mi before I
sold it. On my M3 it's the only oil I use. There is a
reason why BMW recommends it. 5W-30 gives you all the
protection you need. Why make your engine work harder
than it needs to?

'98 M3/4

- ------------
BMW specifies that 5W-30 weight synthetic oil must be
used in their new
cars
(with the exception of the M cars that use 10W-60).
Gone are the days
when
the BMW owner's manual provided a whole range or
choice of acceptable
oil
viscosities.

 5W-30 is a mighty thin oil - - no matter if it is a
synthetic.
According to a 23 page monograph I have on synlubes
(www.motorminute.com),
manufacturers of most all cars today sold in America
specifiy 5W-30 oil
in
order to meet US Gov't fuel economy standards.
Specifically, US EPA
regs
say that whatever oil is used in the engine to
determine the gas
mileage
figures posted on the window sticker, that weight oil
must be specified
in
the owner's manual and used in the factory fill - -
and the mileage
figures
are critical because they are used in meeting the
Gov't - mandated fuel
economy standards (the CAFE standards or Corporate
Average Fuel
Economy).
Thus, car manufacturers use the lightest oil they can
get away with in
the
EPA mileage test.

I find it very difficult to believe that owners of
newer BMWs scorching
down
the autobahn in midsummer have 5W-30 in the crankcase.
 My question is
for
any listers out there in Europe-land:  what weight oil
does BMW
specifiy for
their cars in Europe?

Dick Bergen