BMW Service Quality

I have pretty good luck with the local dealer when I choose to go
there for service.  However, understand that these guys are in the
business for profit and most are not enthusiasts like us.  Our level
of interest in our cars far exceeds their level of interests in other
than running them thru and extracting our $$.  That being said, BMW
certainly needs to exercise a bit more quality control in their
supervision of dealers' service groups and the bodies that populate
them.  It really is a shame that the world's premier automobile brand
suffers from such poor service reputation when compared to Asian
manufacturers' service.  BMW corporate really has an interest only as
far as warranty cost control and recall costs controls go.  They seem
to have forgotten the link to satisfying the customer in order to make
them life-long customers.  There are a few bright spots on the
horizon.  If they ever get Mobile Traditions working like it should,
the older cars will have some avenue of approach for parts and service
information that is sorely needed.

Most of the service guys at the local dealership drive other than
BMW's.  Guess that should tell you where their priorities lie.  Maybe
they know something we don't.  Also, this dealership has gotten cheap
over the years in refusing to sponsor "Drive-for-the-Cure" the past
couple of years because it "cost" them too much money.  They still
take care of the local CCA chapter pretty well and I guess that we
should be happy for that.

As for closed recalls - I would think that it would be a violation of
U.S. laws to "close" a recall of this nature.  Seems it remains open
IF you have a car subject to the recall modification regardless of the
time involved.

Bob Duckworth

rduckwor1@domain.elided