re: E30 Suspension Advice

Hey Keith-

Since you're going to be under the car, you might also want to change the
differential mount.  Also, make sure to check out all of the various
postings on
subframe mount changing on www.unofficialbmw.com  They were very helpful-
especially the ones about building your own press and (carefully) heating
the
surrounding metal of the subframe for removal and also before reinstallation
of the mounts.

If you are doing the procedure without a lift, then all I can say is have
lots of patience because you'll find that you'll need to contort yourself
into many strange positions in order to cut/remove the mounts themselves.  A
reciprocating saw helps alot with cutting parts of the mount out, but may
not do the trick alone.  During the removal of my old mounts, I was unlucky
enough to have both aluminum tips on the old mounts crack off and remain
seized in the body of the car.  That required getting under and drilling
those remaining pieces out chunk by chunk (a sawzall would have been to
unwieldy).  Just remember to be careful and not drill into the surrounding
body of the car.  Best of luck.

Tony
'85 318i