Re:e28 shock replacement

> Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 19:26:05 -0700
> From: Tom Mathews <bimrone@domain.elided>
> Subject: Reply to Re:e28 schock replacement

> You also will need to buy the tool from Bavarian that will separate the suspension components without ripping the rubber boots.

Not true...
There is no need to disassemble any suspension components UNLESS you
plan on replacing them.
To remove the strut assy. it's pull the calipers, pull the sensors
(remember to remove the ground lug on the dust shield)and hydraulic line
from the sway bar link mount. You will need a narrow wrench to get
between the sway bar link ball joint end so that you can remove the nut.
The rest of the removal is the top 3 nuts on the bearing mount and those
3 bolts mounting the strut assy to the  steering arm base (TOO early to
remember the correct name of the part)

> The difficulty of replacing the shocks is about a 3 on a 10 scale.

I found the hardest part to be getting the bearing mount to allign while
trying to hold the strut assy. from below, finally asked the "pretty
passenger...wife" to give me a hand rotating the strut bearing (it is an
offset pattern) to the correct position.

have fun,
Paul S.
84 533i