Re:85 528e running very rich

Hello,
I'm currently working on a project car it is a 85 528E.  When I got the head
was off.  I had the head surfaced and installed a new gasket.  The car is all
back together but runs very rich.  It wiil not idel and will onl;y runn
abover 3,000 rpm,  at which point it puts out clouds of black smoke.  If you
pull the fuse from the fuel pump the car wiil continue to run for about a
minute with much less smoke.  I have tripple checked the timing marks and
they apear tp be set correctly.  I have also removed the intake and replaced
the gaskets, switched the ecu and air mass meter with parts from a known good
car.  None of this has had any effect.  Any one have any suggestions.
Patrick Hayes
Greensboro NC
87 535is
85 528e