RE: Ansa exhausts and Engines

macdowell@domain.elided [mailto:macdowell@domain.elided] wrote:

> Has anyone with an e30 had any experience with Ansa free flow
> exhausts? Would you recommend them? This mod would be for my 1990.

In my mind ANSA is associated with cheap ass mufflers peddled by the economy
muffler shops. Unless what you are looking at is a stainless-steel ($500+)
model, it will almost certainly rust apart.
The best 'upgrade' for your E30 is an OEM muffler that can be had mail order
for around $200. It will last 5-10 years and flow much better than most
after market 'free flow' systems.

> Can anyone tell me what gets replaced in a free flow system (is
> the cat. left in)?

Cat stays in place for legal reasons as it is a part of emissions.
Most mufflers are sold as "cat-back" systems.

> I'm also looking into rebuilding my engine for further tuning (port
> polish etc) has anyone had experiences with Bavarian Engine
> Exchange and Metric Mechanic?

Opening the engine costs a ton of money. As you can see on MM's web site,
you can sink more money into an engine rebuild than your car is worth.
However, unless you are good enough to start club racing, you will gain way
more speed from going to BMW CCA driving school than from anything you do to
the car.

alex f
'89 325i