From: owner-bmw@domain.elided [mailto:owner-bmw@domain.elided]On Behalf Of Jay
Karolyi
Sent: Sunday, October 07, 2001 3:02 AM
To: bmw-digest@domain.elided
Subject: factory premium stereo amp question for E30 cabriolet

Hi All,

Just remembered another problem I'm having.  I ran new wires for my
component speakers up front, but want to use the factory wires for the rear
speakers.  I replaced the factory speakers and matched up the colored wires
at the head unit, but there's no sound coming out of them on either
side.  I'm assuming there is a factory amp in the way somewhere.   I
checked the archives and found out that the premium stereos had amps
located behind the power antenna in the trunk, but mine doesn't.  (man is
that carpet hard to remove!)  Any idea where they located the factory amp
in the cabriolets or why my speakers aren't working?

In looking for the amp I found a weird box located in the right rear
wheelwell where the battery is located in the non-convertible E30s.  What's
in there?  It's a big, battery-size metal box with good size bolts keeping
it shut (didn't want to explore).  A time capsule perhaps?

Sorry for all the questions, I just got the car and need to know all about
it.  I'll stop being obnoxious soon I promise.  :)   Email me
direct:  karolyi74@domain.elided (digest filtered out by Yahoo).

Jay Karolyi
'88 BMW 325i Cabriolet
  karolyi74@domain.elided