TRX Tires for E28

Hi Everyone,
                    I know a bit of the background about TRX tires -
that they aren't made any more, are hard to find, expensive and not very
good. I have a 1985 E28 535i that has them and because the rims are in
such good shape I don't want to replace all of the wheels. It has 240/45
VR415s. Are there any other tires that will fit this rim besides the
TRX's. The other question I have is: since the width of the TRX is so
much wider than the BMW recommended tire (195/70 VR14), do they put
extra stress on the steering gear of the car which would cause it to
wear out quicker than it should. Thanks for any info.
                   rzimmerm@domain.elided