RE: 325i interior trim bits

Bill Bouvier [mailto:wpbouvier@domain.elided] wrote:

> After lurking for the better part of a year, the
> support and enthusiasm found on this list has caused
> me to finally take the plunge. Saturday, I bought a
> 1989 325i Cabrio.

Congratulations!

> Unfortunately, that now probably means I'll have a
> steady stream of stupid questions. With that in mind
> here is my first one---Does anyone know of a good
> source for individual interior trim bits?

Bill,
The dealer will always have what you need, but for a price.
You can also check with either local or Roundel-advertising junk yards (you
are a BMW CCA member, right?) and they might have what you need for a
fraction of the new part's cost.

> Also, how would I go about removing aftermarket window
> tint?

What do you have more of: time or money?
You can pay a tint installer to scrape the old tint off. For DIY, soak the
tint film with ammonia (?); let it sit on the sun to warm up (use a hair
drier to speed up the process) and try peeling it off on your own. It may
come off in sheets if you are lucky, but most likely you will be scraping
the old film off piece by piece. Be extra careful not to damage the rear
window's defogger elements.
Better yet, get your kids to do it (if you've got them ;-).

> 1989 325i Cabrio (still honeymooning)

alex f
'89 325i (no tint)