<M3><E30> Exhaust Manifold

I'm driving a '91 E30 M3 that has shaken off several sets of exhaust manifold
fasteners.  It just happened again, the third time in 5 years. As I recall,
the last guy who worked on this drilled and tapped the block to replace OEM
studs with new bolts.
Those bolts are gone now, and my new mechanic hasn't dug in there yet to see
the condition of the threads.
I don't get to read the digest regularly, but scanned archives as well as I
could and didn't see this mentioned.  What's the book on it?
Thanks.
Bob Rossbach
BRossbach@domain.elided