E30 owners - untrue bad press

Fellow bmw owners,

I offer the following concern to UK digesters...

This evening I saw an advert on Channel 4, which was run by some
department (I didn't see

who), regarding UK benefit fraud. Ok so far, fine - we need to stamp out
this fraud - no

question.

The thing is, the advertisement very clearly portrayed the fraudster as
the owner of a Red

BMW E30. Basically the ad went like this. Two hardworking chaps drive
out of factory in

junkmobil and pull up alongside this "fraudster" and his tarty
girlfriend in his gleaming

BMW. The car is clearly seen as a BMW.  The two workers comment through
open windows on how

nice the car looks ("nice motor"). The owner then "lies" as to how he
got it (by hard work)

- - then accelerates off at high speed. Next shots show the E30, looking
immaculate - full

frontal, driving toward the camera. It then stops for a very nice (full)
side view.

It is interesting that the makers of this ad. didn't use a brand new BMW
(maybe driven by

someone awarded a few Million pounds to "retire" from... (UK folk can
complete this sentence

without my help...)

Anyway my real concern is that it portrayed E30 BMW drivers as cheats!
The emphasis on the

car was way too much imho. Most rational viewers will view it without
problem - it's the

irational ones who concern me! Ok chaps that's the message - keep a
lookout for your E30 for

a while just in case some TV idiot has a go at it.

btw maybe I'm paranoid but in case you are too and saw or object to the
ad, the advertising

complaints authority site is at:

http://www.hkba.org.hk/english/complaints.html

Lookout Message ends.

- -John
ps

Advert broadcast at very approx 19:00 Mon Sep 24 2001 - Channel 4

If any E30's are vandalised in the next few days - maybe there's a basis
for a claim against

er... [insert your own text here]