Removing fuel rail on e30 (6 cyl)

Can anyone explain exactly how to remove the fuel rail on a 6 cylinder e30
engine ('89 325iX)?  My Bentleys is a little sparse on information.

As far as I can see, I have to remove electrical rail then the fuel rail,
then the injectors - in that order.  I'm having trouble with the first step.
I've disconnected the two connectors at the front of the rail (colour
coded).  There's another connector in the middle of the rail that is
attached to the engine block on the left side of the engine, below the
intake manifold.  I cannot get it disconnected.  I can reach a round,
knurled plastic cylinder.  I'm guessing this is some sort of screw-on
connector.  I cannot get it to turn.

Can anyone help?  I really don't want to remove the intake manifold to get
at the injectors.  I'm hoping I don't have to resort to that.  But in case I
do, what's the procedure?

Please email me directly as well as the list as I am in digest mode.

TIA,

Henry