administrivia: OT, Spam Related, followup

for those who want to know how it all turned out:

Alec Cordova, member of one of the digests, produced a clean copy of
the spam i was looking for. it has been made available to the Red
Cross and the FBI.

dialinx.net proved to be a service of Genuity (part of the old BBN
Planet ISP setup); their crack abuse staff got right on it. the FBI
also got right on it, and Genuity and the FBI have reportedly been in
communcation about the spammer in question.

the spammer in question had engaged in an extensive pattern of abuse
prior to this particular act, and was being targeted by a number of
abuse staffers at more than one ISP. we already knew his name and his
paypal account identification. this particular spam put him on the
FBI's radar screen. i do believe that we're in the end game on this
one.

however, this won't be the last such spam trying to take advantage of
the tragedy. i've already seen a couple more.

a mailing list has been started for the explicit purpose of tracking
such spam. membership is severely restricted, but the archives are
public, and may be browed at

/reliefscam/archive/

richard