E34 Fuel pipe by tank?

The metal fuel line that is fitted around the rear of the tank under may 1991
520 tourer is weeping.
I can not find its function in the Haynes workshop manual.
It is spliced into a rubber line coming down from the filler area under the
rear wing and disappears over the top of the shallow part of the tank under
the spare wheel well.  It has corroded to the point of weeping and need a dose
of looking at.
Before I start I would like to find out if it is a major "tank out" job?
Can it be replaced by easing the tank down when "empty"?
Could it simply be reduced in length and the corroded section replaced by
rubber section as further along?
Thank Gurus in advance
GarryG
g.grigg@domain.elided
518 125K
520T 165K
K100RS 40K
Triumph TR6 100K rebuilt a couple of times!