Steering wheel problems

I have two very minor but annoying problems.  I'm hoping someone on the list
has an "oh ya, I had that problem" type of answer.

1) The horn works intermittently.  The fuse is fine, I pulled the horn
button off and the connections are fine.  I also tested for continuity
between the two leads so it appears that the horn is okay and not shorted.
I can't seem to think of anything else.  I hate to start replacing stuff
without figuring out what is actually wrong.

2) The steering wheel makes a strange creaking sound when I turn it.  It's
coming from the steering wheel and not the rack or wheels.  I'm thinking of
removing the steering wheel and dousing the guts of the steering column with
spray lube.  Would this be a good idea?

FWIW, the car is a '89 325iX but the stock steering wheel was swapped for
one of those three-spoke leather-wrapped jobs.  I think it's from a e30
cabriolet.

Henry