re(2): 352e oil

The "big six" 535i and the 320i should get thick oil. The 15-40 petroleum
or 5-40 sythetic that I would use are indeed thick. Thicker than most
modern designs use. Diesel-truck thick. Just not as thick as 20-50, which
would cost you power and mileage to no advantage. The use of 20-50 in such
cars is OK, but you do lose performance and the lubrication to the cam is
compromised while the engine is cold. It was common when the next grade
down, 10-30, was too thin. We have more choices now.

The more modern and smaller 325e is happy on lighter oil, at least until
it is well-worn.

- -tc

> Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 11:02:47 -0700
> From: "Michael Drew" <monsterdog@domain.elided>
> Subject: re: 325e oil
>
> I'm really surprised to here you guys say that lighter oil is permitted
in
> these cars. I've got an '85 325e and an '86 535i. I've always used
20W-50
> year round. (The winters don't get too cold here in San Jose.)
>
> This choice comes from the info in the Bentley manual, and the orignal
> owners manual. I've also heard from other sources that the valve trains
in
> this vintage of BMW were built with looser tollerances which require the
> heavier oil. My first BMW, a '77 320i, would also run best on 20W-50
oil.

> The most convincing reason I use the weight is that the guys at Dinan
> recomended Valvoline All Season 20W-50. I use to use Castrol, but since
I've
> switched brands, I've noticed that after 3000 miles, the oil still comes
out
> clear and brown, instead of dark black.
>
> I'm sure that mileage would be very slightly improved with the lighter
oil,
> but is it worth the extra risk to the engine and the chance of more
leaks?
> Plus, as an engine ages, those tollerances open up. The thicker stuff
will
> protect better.

- --
Ted Crum