re: 325e oil

I'm really surprised to here you guys say that lighter oil is permitted in
these cars. I've got an '85 325e and an '86 535i. I've always used 20W-50
year round. (The winters don't get too cold here in San Jose.)

This choice comes from the info in the Bentley manual, and the orignal
owners manual. I've also heard from other sources that the valve trains in
this vintage of BMW were built with looser tollerances which require the
heavier oil. My first BMW, a '77 320i, would also run best on 20W-50 oil.

The most convincing reason I use the weight is that the guys at Dinan
recomended Valvoline All Season 20W-50. I use to use Castrol, but since I've
switched brands, I've noticed that after 3000 miles, the oil still comes out
clear and brown, instead of dark black.

I'm sure that mileage would be very slightly improved with the lighter oil,
but is it worth the extra risk to the engine and the chance of more leaks?
Plus, as an engine ages, those tollerances open up. The thicker stuff will
protect better.