Re: Recommended Service Reset Tool/Warantee Impact

There is no one "correct" reset tool to use on any kind of BMW.  On the
older models, people just used paper clips to do the reset.  One can do the
same on a new BMW as well but because the risk of shorting something out
with a wire of the wrong resistance exists, it is not recommended to do so.
Tools made by Peake are nothing but wires that contain the correct amount of
resistance to ensure no damage to the ECU or any other electronic system on
the car.

Years ago, someone taught me to make such a tool using wire, alligator clips
and a resistor.  I've been using this tool on every kind of BMW that comes
my way with not a single problem.  I've even made a few for my friends.
Cost is about $2 in parts plus 10 minutes of labor.  Or you can just pay $50
and get Peake's tool.  The end result is the same.

Gary Krumian